Current lab members
Kenneth Baillie MD PhD
Sara Clohisey BA(Mod) PhD
Her main interest is how cells of the immune system react to viral infections and how, in turn, the virus interacts with immune cells.
This host-pathogen interaction is integral to understanding why some people become very sick when they are infected with viruses, such as influenza.
Sara has recently completed sampling on a study looking at influenza susceptibility in the Scottish population and is using sensitive techniques, such as Cap Analysis of Gene Expression (CAGE) and Whole Genome Sequencing, to investigate this on a molecular scale.
Evangelos Kanonidis BSc(Hons)
Lucile Neyton MSc
Clinical Lecturer / PhD student
Andrew Bretherick BSc(Hons) MBChB FRCA
ECAT clinical lecturer
Andrew graduated from the University of Edinburgh with first-class honours in molecular biology in 2006, and medicine in 2009. After completing an academic medical foundation programme in 2011, he moved to Queensland, Australia, for one year. He returned to Edinburgh in 2012 to commence training in Anaesthesia, and started his PhD in August 2016.
Lab members who don't have profiles yet
- Mr Max Fourmann [Undergraduate student, MBChB, 2019]
- Dr Andy Law
- Mr Adam Brown [Undergraduate student, BMedSci in Anaesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine, 2018 + Undergraduate student, MBChB, 2019]
- Dr Ian MacCormick [Visiting Scientist, 2017-18]
Former lab members
Steve Thorn BSc (Hons) PhD
Research Systems Consultant
Steve did a 4-month secondment in our lab, taking time away from his post running the University of Edinburgh High Performance Computer cluster. He worked on the coexpression post-GWAS analysis code and provided support and tuition to the whole lab in best practices for multithreading, optimisation and coding infrastructure.
Steve has a PhD in experimental particle physics. For his thesis, he analysed the equivalent of 1 petabyte of data at CERN (The European Organization for Nuclear Research). He then spent six years as a software engineer, working for the European Space Agency on the Rosetta and Mars Express missions. Steve returned to physics as a postdoc at the University of Edinburgh where he helped to build the grid of computers that now analyses data from the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.
During his time in our lab he developed his interest in biological applications of high-performance computing. He has now moved into a new role in biological science, working as a senior postdoctoral scientist in the Hickey lab at the Roslin Institute.
Andru Tomoiu BSc (Hons) PhD
Andru was the first postdoc in the lab, working on influenza infection in macrophages for 10 months in 2013. His work in the Baillie lab to co-authorship on papers (Nature, Science, Scientific Reports) and another in submission now.
During his time in the lab Andru decided that, after 10 years of work in laboratory science and virology, he wanted to pursue his dream of becoming a doctor. He was accepted into medical school in his native Quebec, and qualified in medicine in 2017. He is on a residency program with a few to becoming a general practitioner.
Postdocs and visitors
- Dr Lewis Campbell, Consultant Intensivist, Darwin, Australia [Visiting Scientist 2017]
- Dr Tuanjun Hu, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Lengeling Lab, Roslin Institute [Postdoctoral research fellow, 2014-2017]
- Dr Martin MacInnis, Principal Investigator, London, Ontario [Visiting Scientist 2012]
- Sqdn Ldr David Hall, Consultant in Anaesthesia and Critical Care Medicine, Royal Infirmary Edinburgh [Clinical Research Fellow, 2011]
- Mr Gordon Paterson [Undergraduate student, MBChB, 2017]
- Ms Emma Chang, Medical Student, University of Edinburgh [Undergraduate student, BMedSci in Anaesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine, 2017]
- Ms Jocelyn Schreyer [Undergraduate Student, BSc(Hons) in Molecular Genetics, 2017]
- Ms Jennifer Lawson [Undergraduate Student, BSc(Hons) in Molecular Genetics, 2016]
- Ms Shona Main [Undergraduate student, MBChB, 2013]
- Mr Alexander Jackson [Undergraduate student, MBChB, 2013]
- Mr Nicholas Moore [Undergraduate student, MBChB, 2012]
- Mr Andrew Beck [Undergraduate student, MBChB, 2011]
- Mr Stuart Gallacher [Undergraduate student, MBChB, 2011]
- Ms Katie Smith [Undergraduate student, MBChB, 2010